I hope this second edition of our CREW Connecticut newsletter finds you enjoying your summer
and the return to the “new normal
”. In this issue, we will recap our recent chapter events, congratulate some winners, welcome new members, and look forward to ways we can network and be together during the second half of 2021.
But, first we have a BIG announcement to share!!!
Chapter Challenge Trifecta
- Through the indomitable efforts of our very own Janet Wheeler, Foundation Chair of our Board, for the FIRST TIME EVER
, our small in size, but mighty in heart chapter, has achieved the Chapter Challenge Trifecta
! This challenge supports the Network Foundation (a non-profit within CREW that furthers the promotion of women in commercial real estate). What this means is that 100% of our Board donated, our chapter made a $1000 donation, and at least 50% of our chapter membership donated!!! THANK YOU to all who rallied behind this call to open your wallets and contribute. Our chapter has already been recognized at the Network level, and we will be featured in upcoming Network social media posts, as well as at the Network convention in Las Vegas (September). Special thanks to Janet for all her efforts to make this happen!
- Wow, have we been busy! Our virtual coffee and conversations (April and June) continue to be a big hit, as well as a virtual COVID related panel on industrial space
in Connecticut, co-sponsored by our fellow networking organizations, REFA and SIOR (April). We socialized via Zoom with some “liquid nectar” at a lively wine-tasting
(May) and gathered together in person and remotely to “power up our joy
” (May) and de-stress with some yoga
(May). Folks engaged in a delightful Berlin walking tour
(followed by some luscious libations) (June) and so many of our members and friends (170+) joined us at Hops on the Hill in Glastonbury for an in-person Blue Ribbons Awards
for a rain-free (thank goodness!) outdoor evening complete with live music and delicious nosh (June)! Oh, and let’s not forget the Network spring leadership summit
attended by Janet Wheeler and Andrea Gomes (June).
2021 Blue Ribbon Winners
- Thank you to all who entered our Blue Ribbon Awards for 2021. Congratulations to the following winners!
INNOVATION IN REAL ESTATE
BEST IN CLASS: Commercial
– Goodwin University 361 Main Street Campus Commons, East Hartford, CT
BEST IN CLASS: Education
- Academy of Aerospace & Engineering Elementary School, Rocky Hill, CT
BEST IN CLASS: Higher Education
- University of New Haven, Bergami Center for Science, Technology, & Innovation, New Haven, CT
BEST IN CLASS: Healthcare
- Hospital for Special Care - Autism Unit, New Britain, CT
BEST IN CLASS: Multifamily/Residential
- The Audubon, New Haven, CT
BEST IN CLASS: Mixed Use Development
- The Borden, Wethersfield, CT
BEST INTERIOR DESIGN PROJECT
- Murtha Cullina Office Renovation, Hartford, CT
BEST SPECIALTY PROJECT
- St. Michael Church Restoration and Renovation, Pawcatuck, CT
BEST SPECIALTY PROJECT: Mixed Use
- Brim & Crown, Norwalk, CT
- Park View & Allingtown Green, West Haven, CT
- LAZ Parking Home Office, Hartford, CT
- Willow Creek, Hartford, CT
- LAZ Parking Home Office, Hartford, CT
We look forward to welcoming new submissions in 2022. A special shout out to the Blue Ribbon committee, consisting of Melissa Roy, Jenna McClure, Corrie Brindamour, Jennifer Marks and Kimberly Harvey.
New Members -
So many! We are delighted to welcome the following new members in 2021:
Michelle Beyer, UConn School of Law (student)
Jane Didona, Didona Associates - Landscape Architects, LLC
Jessica Dziob, Phase Zero Design
Christopher Edge, Town of Berlin
Cassandra Edwards, Lexington Partners
Joy Eller, New England Investment Partners
Kimberly Harvey, Newmark
Peyton Harvey, University of Arizona (student)
Lindsay Patsch, Penwood Real Estate Investment Management
Rebecca Sarkosi, QA+M Architecture
Danielle Sitler, Kaestle Boos Associates, Inc
Anissa Smith, United Property Restoration/Reficio Construction
Alice Vantour, Berkshire Hathaway Home Services – Cozzi Team
Paige Widlak, University of Connecticut (student)
Ken Woodward, Construction Cost Solutions, LLC
July 22 - Annual Summer Social at the Essex Yacht Club (members and sponsors-only event)
August [TBD] - Coffee and Conversation
October 21- Members’ Fall Dinner at the North House
Plus, more programming and professional development is in the works, trending towards IN PERSON, for the fall.
Many thanks to all our sponsors for their support this year!
That’s it for now. Until next time!
2021 Board Members
Professional Development Committee
Blue Ribbon Awards Committee